Fishing day 2

Today I went fishing alone. My guide Mike had a charter running so he wanted me to come out to be his first mate and learn more about the fish in the area and certain techniques he has. We woke up at 5:30am and set off to go downtown Boca Raton. Mark and Sam spent the day helping our other guide Jordan fill in the cement in his backyard for his boat ramp. While they were doing that I was out with Mike and his charter looking for mahi mahi a.k.a "dolphin" as they say in Boca. We set off learning about habitats around the area fish gather. Mike tells us about this thick green seaweed that lays on top of the water in a 500-yard-long radius about seven miles offshore. Although it is 800 feet deep below the seaweed the Mahi love to sit in 15 feet of water and feed on the fish that look wounded on top of the water. We had five hours of fishing and caught only three mahi, it was not a win for Mike he says a little later in the month when the mahi are healthier he usually catches almost seventeen a day! It was a win for me though because I have never seen a Mahi before and they are super fascinating and beautiful. I also learned how to use side rigs on the boat, while having the experience of being a first mate. I hope later in the week we will be able to have the opportunity to go again. 

Mikes boat


                                                                          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog day 3 (work day)

Fishing/work day